World Gin Day is a global celebration of all things gin, held on the second Saturday in June.
Organised by everyone's favourite gin swigging primate: Gin Monkey, the idea is simple: get people together all around the world and raise a glass to the brilliant spirit that is GIN. Whether it's in a cocktail, a G&T or neat as part of a tasting, let's celebrate this wonderful juniper-laced spirit in all of its glory!
A virtual cheers around the world!
Here are a few suggestions for how to celebrate:
1. Host a Gin Tasting: Gather a group of friends and host a gin tasting. Choose a variety of gins from different regions and taste them side by side. Discuss the different flavors and aromas and compare notes.
2. Make Gin Cocktails: Mix up some gin cocktails and enjoy them with friends. Try classic cocktails like the Gin and Tonic, Martini, or Negroni, or experiment with new recipes.
3. Share Your Love of Gin: Share your love of gin with others by posting on social media, hosting a gin-themed party, or giving gin-related gifts to friends and family.
Whatever you choose to do, make sure to raise a glass to gin and celebrate this wonderful spirit on World Gin Day!
If you're hosting a gin-themed party, don't forget the food! Gin is a versatile spirit that pairs well with a variety of foods. Here are some foods that pair well with gin:
1. Seafood: Gin's herbal and citrus notes complement the flavors of seafood, particularly shellfish like oysters and shrimp.
2. Spicy Foods: Gin's botanical flavors can help to balance the heat of spicy foods, making it a great pairing for dishes like curry or chili.
3. Cheese: Gin pairs well with a variety of cheeses, particularly those with strong and complex flavors like blue cheese or aged cheddar.
4. Herbs: Gin's botanical flavors make it a natural pairing for dishes that feature fresh herbs, such as pesto or herb-roasted chicken.
5. Light Appetizers: Gin's light and refreshing flavor makes it a great pairing for light appetizers like bruschetta or crostini.
When pairing gin with food, it's important to consider the flavors and aromas of both the gin and the dish. Look for complementary flavors and aromas that will enhance each other, rather than overpowering one another.
Remember to drink responsibly and enjoy gin in moderation. And most of all, have fabulous World Gin Day! Cheers!